Sunday, September 7, 2008

weekend update

Got to catch the Tunnel Clones and Iron Mic Coalition last night at the Hi Tone. I wish I could say more about live hip hop shows - they just have a tendency to come across rather flat. If you read my thoughts on the 8 Ball and MJG show a week or so back, then you'll know i am generally annoyed at the short attention span "ring-tone" method of rap shows these days. Not that the live show has ever been the form's greatest strength. People have been throwing their hands in the air like they don't care and saying oh yeah for 30 years now - it just gets a little stale after awhile.
And so it was nice to see a group, local no less, at least attempting to break the static formula of rap concerts. The Tunnel Clones have no pointless hangers-on standing arund on stage, they actually freestyle both musically (props to the Jedi) and verbally (not their greatest ability, but fun nonetheless), and they augment the show with musicians here and there on vocals, horns and (?!) harmonica. A very unique group that should go down in Memphis history. They may lack the pomposity and showmanship of Lord T & Eloise, but I'll bet their cd deserves twice as many listens.
While I am on here, I must rail on Memphis football for a second. I had settled in on my parents' new couch, drink in one hand, pepper poppers in the other and here we go driving, passing, scoring(!) and generally looking ready to kick Rice in the shins. Unfortunately, its not the ability to take the lead, its KEEPING the lead that wins the game. Not the first Memphis game lost sloppily at the last minute. My Dad refers to it as snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
I will NOT be gone to the beach this week as I had so hoped to be. I feel like a bit of my spirit has been crushed. Thankfully my friend Taylor's wedding is this week and I plan to take a few days off just to party down with my friends while they are in town. There won't be any shrimp or dolphins, but there won't be any hurricanes either!
Myohmyohmyohmy....it looks like your boy may be heading to Europe in 2009...Amsterdam trip in the works with official financial backing from the parental units. Other than a weeklong trip to NY in 8th grade (which was mindblowing, at least for a 14 year old) I have never left the SE United States, much less the continent of North America. More details to follow!

No comments: