Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Now That's Entertainment!

I have managed to make it to a few shows in the past coupla weeks...and I have seen a few things that made me chuckle...First, if you are not a fan of Tim & Eric Awesome Show - Great Job! then you are one of the following: dumb, humorless, tasteless, smelly, ugly, and/or fat. Anyone who has been around me longer than 5 minutes knows I am a fanatic. This past weekend wrapped up Season 3 of the show and it was a masterpiece. They even got Frank Black from the Pixies to sing them out! Now, since I have been singing this song for 48 hours straight, I present the final bit from this past Sunday's episode....as we come upon our heroes, they are waking from their dream of eating their way to the summit of Brownie Mountain... oh, and those are all the various characters introduced in Season 3 riding the brownies...

Then this also happened to me on the way to work the other day....the weatherman said it might rain that afternoon. That's a might and it was still 8 in the morning. The sky was blue waith maybe a few of the whispy white clouds that float along. As I was bringing Arrow-dog around the block to pee, I passed this person. No storm cloud was gonna sneak up on her, dammit!

I also managed to catch my long time favorites Shmelby at the Buccaneer last week. Man I love these guys. Muck Sticky may be raunchier. Lord T & Eloise may have more presence and bombast. But for my buck (five, actually), the Shmelby All-Stars (DJ Awesome, Redbeard & Shower Cap) are the bestest. "Rock The Poopie", "AssNeck Trick", "Covered In Stank"....all rapalong classics. And they didn't disappoint! On this occasion they even brought out a live drummer! Hmmm....Now, once again I got the hookup working behind the scenes at the Memphis Flyer Best Of party. A great gig and good money, and I got to hobnob with....well, Memphis Best Of! The food was the best, the businesses represented were awesome...and then the band took the stage. What the hell?!?!?!? The Barbaras - guys, if one of you ever reads this, it ain't personal, I just calls em likes I sees em. This is the part where I think of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, with his hilariously Yugoslavian (!?) accent, yelling "EEW SOCK!" at those he felt were lacking in talent. These guys were lame enough in the music department - junior high pop-punk - but worse than that they committed the most heinous of band crimes in my book...they filled the gaps between songs with "witty" onstage banter. Now, the singer did think he was amusing. And he may well have amused himself, so I won't call him a liar. But I had to ask the guy who booked me for this party if they asked these guys to play on purpose.
And, not wanting to end on such a craptastic note, I spent Saturday out with the Old Man, my awesome dad. We hit the Putt Putt driving range early on Saturday (where I have MUCH time needed) and then on to the Tigers football game where we had Press Box passes waiting. We ran this play two years ago against the same team, Arkansas State, and watched our Tigers take it down to the wire, after leading the whole game, only to lose on a hail Mary pass at the buzzer. That's some retarded Tecmo Bowl bullshit! What the Hell?!?!?! Sorry - I hold a grudge on that one. And I was waaaay cynical about the game going in.
But lo and behold....we f'n won!!! And looked halfway good doing it! And we ate a bunch of Central BBQ! Yea for the Tigers and yea for me!

I also hit the Raconteurs show Monday night at the Canon Center. We got there with some time to spare so I got to soak up the coolness of the place. Catch a show there - ride the trolley! We did. The show was super rockin. Not nearly as bombastic as the White Stripes, these guys have a very fleashed out sound that allows them to jam and stretch out. Jack White looks like he's having fun - even though he looked to be pretty ill at this show. At one point he explained to us that his voice was going out and he was gonna do his best. He had to sit down a bit - and then his rig kept going out and they kept running out more cords and guitars. But nothing can stop him from rocking - the guy rules. And now he is making music for James Bond movies with Alicia Keys and doing songs for Coke and you know what? As long as he can rock it like this, I say go dude!

Last but not least, I hit Woofstock the other day. A very cool event and whoever put it together should be proud. It was a music festival sort of thing in Overton Park for dog and cat owners. Lots of shelters adopting out dogs, lots of cool (and creepy) pet vendors, and a TON of dogs. There was also an appearance of SpongeBob Squarepants (?). This reminded me of one time when I was a kid I saw another kid kick the KoolAid man in the ass in the aisle of Piggly Wiggly and take off running. I envied that kid. If I was a little younger and a bit ballsier, I woulda given SpongeBob das boot. He only knew one lame dance and it barely held the kids attention long enough for me to film this. imagine this clip in a 10 minute long loop and you'll get an idea of the lameness he was pullin:

OK, let me go do some shit and then I will come back and write about it. OH! On the food tip, Little Italy at the West end of Union is pretty good! The chicken is a little precooked & processed tasting, but the Italian sandwich I had was rockin and was cheap. And whats up with all these good places to eat bein closed on mondays (Umai, Petra, lookin at you!)?!?!?!?

No comments: